Proverbs 16:3 Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.

I have never been one to appreciate tests. They have given me a knot in my stomach each time I've taken them.  I have no confidence in my own skills to remember details. Once in Bible school I got so nervous before our end of school exam that I broke out in hives all over my body (even though I had made A's and one B on every other test ALL year).  It was a mental thing.  A fear of the unknown.  The word test = negativity.

That said, this year I decided to do standardized testing with our 15 and 10 year old. We went through a well known online private school which uses the CAT (California Achievement Test). I was looking for something that would give us a rough guideline on areas that we may need to supplement our curriculum in the fall.  I was so nervous when they began the tests.  What if this was a total disaster? It was a two day process, and there were a few tears shed by the youngest.

What happened when the test results were in? Mom was astounded. I confess, I could not believe the results. What are we doing wrong? What are we doing right? I'll share more about that later though.

While watching the youngest take the test, it became aware to me that she has been tricking me. She quickly answered the language questions as if they were a breeze. I asked her how she remembered so accurately while taking the test, and yet often does not apply the same punctuation, spelling, and/or capitalization in her daily work? Her answer, "Because I want to get a good score on this test". WHAT? So you mean all this time you were simply being lazy?   

Both kids drag their feet when it comes to book work. They act like we are making them do school work that is beyond their ability to comprehend and accomplish. Many days, because of the "negativity", I have second guessed my efforts and I've often thought to myself,

"Why am I doing this? I'm not smart enough to teach anyone anything."
"I was (am) terrible at spelling, math, and language, how can I possibly teach it?"
"This whole homeschooling experience is a mistake, what was I thinking?"
"I JUST CAN'T DO THIS."

Lets just face it. When I was school age the world around me made me feel like I was terrible at everything.  Everything that is, except for making people laugh, climbing trees, shooting harmless pests with my BB gun, dreaming up crazy ideas, and stories, and playing with friends.  My mom knew the value of the above activities and I got to do them plentifully, even if often, to the demise of her personal items.

For example, if I have to buy my own bb's, I'm going to need to earn more money. That means I have to do work more- rake more leaves in the yard, or milk cows when it's not my turn. Ugh! Nah, I'll just recycle my bb's. But in order to recycle them I'll need to collect them somehow. Hmmm. Aha! Mom's metal cooking pan will work nicely and I will tape a paper target to the front of it for target practice. Lets not mention the dings that I left ALL over the bottom of that pan at the completion of the experiment. Poor mom! It was always something like that. I think I can even hear her sighing to this day, from all of the "creative" ideas that I had. I was going to find a way to do things "better" or more "efficiently". Sometimes I think I was just gifted at getting out of work. I feel sorry for her now, but then I was all about my ideas and I could not understand why she had to be so picky. I mean, it's just a metal pan... It's just a metal chair that I nailed into the tree to make a look-out seat, it's just.....It's just a pile of dirty clothes- I can take them all to the laundry at once (once a week) and save myself many multiple small trips (daily). This is the way I thought. That kid that Solomon talks about who has foolishness pent up in the heart, that was me. Completely. I just wanted to have fun.

But back to the academics and continuing along to the point of where this thing was originally going. As an adult home schooling our two kids, I would (do) sometimes have negative thoughts (such as those mentioned above) running over and over in my mind. Particularly on days that we were/are not getting along, or when concepts were/are not being grasped, or everyone has gone to bed late and gotten up tired and grouchy.

I tell you that this negative banter in my head is a complete and total lie. I am finding that anyone can learn if they want to, and anyone can teach, if they try and are open to learning. Of course, I also firmly believe in the grace of God, that He often gives us blessings that we do not deserve (sometimes in the form of intelligent children who takes tests well).  That said, I know that home schooling is not for everyone, but it is right for us, and there are many other families who are climbing a similar ladder in their learning experience. There are many who successfully home school and enjoy it.

Once I thought we would never make it to high school. Now I am looking at dual credit courses for the oldest, possibly next year, and in two years Jr high for the youngest. It is amazing how time flies, and every little thing you choose to do with your time makes a significant difference when you add it all together. 

So even though I don't like tests, I have learned to appreciate them.  This week we were encouraged that our 10 year old scored 10.5 grade level (98th percentile rank) in language mechanics, and language usage; 9.1 grade in spelling, 7.6 in reading vocabulary & reading comprehension.  We celebrated that our 15 year old tested at collage level in language mechanics, and 12th grade in reading vocabulary.

If your children are improving from year to year you know that this home schooling thing is working. It's not so much about the numbers, but the numbers do help you gauge where you can do better.  The numbers can also boost confidence and challenge students to achieve their best. Particularly the students who are achievement oriented.

I'm proud of my kids no matter what they get on test scores; what makes me most happy is when I see them putting their heart into their work, and doing their best. We watch them grow daily and even though raising them seems overwhelming at times, I know that God is working in our hearts and He is working in our home to bring about His plan for our family. 

I pray that you will find peace in your journey, as well.

 

Romans 12:2 

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.




Comments

Popular Posts