P e r s e v e r e

     Having a conversation with Jonathan on our way to Beaumont yesterday, I bumped into a principle that caused me to think.  It was the principle of perseverance. This is something that I, from time-to-time recognize as lacking in myself as well as in my children.  As a child I remember my own mindset being, "If it isn't fun, I don't want to do it!".  What a time my Mom had trying to train this character flaw.  I raked many leaves at 5 cents a load; I washed cars for $5.  We milked cows, tended chickens, hauled hay, learned to sew, play the piano; other basic skills like cooking, cleaning, working.  Yet, when faced with a choice today, guess what I would naturally feel like choosing?  The easy way out. Yep, it's in my nature. But even though I might feel like it, I don't choose the easy way out, because I'm an adult now, and usually, I see the wisdom in taking the long road. Some things are not easy.  Some situations require perseverance, hard work, and patience. This is life, it's not meant to be all fun.

     My Dad earned a lot of trophies and awards for his tennis skills when he was in school, and was really quite good from what I hear. He took time to teach us some lessons when I was a kid; he wanted us to appreciate and enjoy the sport as he did.  But I was lazy, and didn't like the heat, or chasing after the bouncing balls (which never seemed to go where you wanted them to) and I did not persevere much at practicing.  I played just enough that I was having fun; then I would quit when it wasn't fun anymore.

     Dad has also given my kids a short lesson or two.  Jonathan, now 13 yrs of age, really enjoys playing.  But in our conversation (while driving to Beaumont- mentioned above) I learned that Jonathan is not so much interested in the instruction; he only wants it to be fun.  He thinks that he already knows how to play tennis (from those two lessons).  He comprehends the score system, but his skills are lacking. But lessons are boring.  During past conversations I have reminded Jonathan that most things in life that are worthwhile take effort, perseverance, and discipline-- something that people need to learn. Learning to play tennis is not any different that persevering while learning to play the piano, or another instrument or skill.  But once you learn them they are life long tools that you will use in different ways.  The learning and practice are not always about fun, but we can learn to appreciate the process for what it is.

     We can compare this with real life situations which we face as adults--  persevering through commitment in marriage during those trying times, recovering from a painful, severe injury; raising children, building a house, renovating an old house (don't I know it), trying to get a job, KEEPING a job. Our kids need to learn perseverance and discipline. If these important qualities are not learned as children and up through adult, we miss out.  When learning any skill, whether it be learning to walk, play the piano, play the guitar, soccer, tennis, golf, building a bridge, painting a house, reading a book, learning the ABC's, going through physical therapy, perseverance and discipline are required!  These are the basic skills for success and completion.

Comments

Popular Posts