Progress is Progress

One week after officially moving all of our possessions from the old house, into storage and our cabin, the kids and I took off for camp (the last week of June). Waylon stayed behind and split a mother-load of firewood (I think I mentioned this before) which he stacked behind one of the sheds (giving the place a nice "lived in" feel). We both worked around the yards (multiple) picking up old limbs, and making piles of brush to burn when the weather is suitable. I also got a crash course in how to use the chainsaw (again); it wasn't as easy to manage as when I was 29, but I did manage to saw up a large tree that had fallen in the park area.









The hay bailing people came about the second week of July and mowed the field, leaving behind beautiful long trails of hay bails. We discovered that one of our cats (Mr. Tom) loves to bound across the bails like a galloping horse; it is quite a funny thing to see.

July flew by in a flash, with little progress noted on the house as we had multiple other activities going on and were rather burned out, to boot. Early August we took a family trip to Schlitterbahn, and rested a day before starting our school schedule back the following week. We also took a trip to Dallas as well, and made a day of visiting Six Flags over Texas; visiting family, and looking over the beautiful Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens. We lined up a crew to put a new roof on the house, and they showed up while we were gone out of town. By the time we got home they were nearly finished with the new roof, which was exciting!

We chose black architectural shingles.
 
 

This week we have been finishing up the removal of ceiling boards upstairs, in preparation for the new wiring. We will have spray in foam insulation installed after the wiring is completed. Today we will clean out the mud dabber nests, wasp nests, and dirt that came down when we pulled the boards. Progress may seem slow, but this thing is happening one day at a time. I'm excited and can't wait to get moved into this house!


This is a picture of the banana trees that Jonathan and I planted last week. I'm currently reading a book published a few years back by University of Texas Press. The author is Howard Garrett, and the book is titled Howard Garrett's Plants for Texas. I have learned a lot and I'm only in the introduction. Perhaps we will have better gardening success once I can apply my new knowledge combined with the better soil at the new place. Looking forward to gardening success! 


It is looking very overcast here today, I hope we get some rain.






                

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts