Is It Already March?

I just sat down to a lunch break @ 2 pm. I look up the blog and see that I haven't posted in a few months. What happened to this year? How can it be March already?!?

This lunch break is going to require coffee as I'm already worn out today.  I'm leaning toward negative. I feel like complaining; my mind says, "Don't give in, don't give in! Find something to be thankful for". But my head aches, I am weary, and it is hot.  I will drink some chocolate coffee in the cool cabin, and choose to be happy. I will be happy because we are making progress. Progress is good.

We have worked steadily on the house this week. Waylon and Benny have been installing ceilings, followed by Waylon and I spackling, priming and staining. Of course real life has had to continue as well; school and the regular activities like cooking, laundry, and a little bit of house keeping, and date night. Did I also mention that I'm working on hand embroidered dish cloths (a gift for family), and painting gourd birdhouses this week?  I've been doing the crafty projects in my free time, as well as playing Scum (favorite card game) with the kids this week.  

Today I started the day off stapling insulation into the downstairs bedroom ceiling. I confess that I didn't think it would be so challenging when I volunteered. I may have even said "I hate this job" once after working at it for a while and becoming frustrated. But I also thought to myself, "Control your temper, getting mad isn't going to fix anything", while the whole 10' piece of insulation was falling as I (precariously perched on a ladder) was trying to squeeze the trigger of an empty staple gun. I imagined throwing the staple gun through the nearby window. Nah, that wouldn't help. Arg! But now hours later, the project is almost complete. The guys are gone picking up more supplies and I am sitting. Sitting is nice. 

The men have been working on and have almost completed installing all of the downstairs ceilings.  There is only a closet left to install a ceiling for upstairs. Things are moving along.

In the weeks to come we will take a short break (spring break for us) and then resume working on the list below:

Painting
Installing light fixtures in almost all of the downstairs rooms
Refinishing and installing 2 claw foot tubs (in the upper and lower bathrooms)
Installing bathroom 2 sinks & 2 toilets
Installing the kitchen sink & dish washer (YAY! I will have a dish washer again)
Painting the kitchen cabinets
Building kitchen shelving
Having counter tops installed
Trimming out the whole house
Replacing some of the windows (when the shipment of new ones come in)
Installing tile & wood floors
Installing new rails and repainting the staircase
Possibly installing a gas fireplace  (we may wait and do that later)

I am so thankful that we have the time to accomplish so much this week. The place is coming together little by little.  What started out as "We will just change a few things and be in the house in a few months", graduated to "Well, if we're going to do this, lets do it right", (in other words this is going to be a BIG project), which turned into nearly 2 years (in June).

Thankfully, we are seeing a faint light at the end of the tunnel. Today is a good day.

~Beth

Comments

Popular Posts